Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Simple Sneeze

Yesterday, I was doing my laundry, and I sneezed. It was a good sneeze, one of those that gives your whole body warm chills. Warm chills? Is that like jumbo shrimp? Anyway, it was a good sneeze. It reminded me of the one episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun that I ever watched. Remember that show? The one about the family of aliens that come to earth to gather information? I'm not sure if that was the premise or not; like I said, I only ever saw one episode. The older daughter (or wife... I'm not sure) caught her first cold on earth and sneezed. The whole family violently reacted to nose explosion, and the dad/husband asked, "What was that!?!" The sneezing alien said, "I don't know... but I want another one."

So to recap: I sneezed a really good sneeze, thought about the 3rd Rock sneeze comment, and thought about all of the other things that were great the first time and have just lost their zing, possibly by no fault of their own.

Do you remember the first time you were tickled? The first slice of pizza you ever ate? Your first trip to the beach? Granted, all of those things probably happened when you were three years old, but cut me some slack.

Maybe you're good at living in the moment, but I'm not always. My challenge for myself is to look at things like they're happening for the first time. Even a good sneeze can be something special. So take a minute, appreciate whatever's happening, and... gezundheidt.

1 comment:

Hannah Grace said...

I have only seen one episode of this show as well. This was the episode that I saw, too! Were we together when this happened?