Friday, March 14, 2008

Open Mouth. Insert VERY LARGE Foot.

I stuck my foot in my mouth last night. BIG TIME.

I got a phone call at dinner (with the lovely almost Mr. and Mrs. Stagner), and the caller ID said Melody Watson. Kaz and I both looked at the name on the phone, shrugged, and Kaz answered. Apparently Melody wanted to talk to me. Here's how the conversation went...

Me: "Hello?"

Her: "Hi, Kendra! This is Melody Watson!"

M: Who the heck is Melody Watson? "Hi, Melody! How are you?"

H: "I'm great! Do you have a minute to talk?"

M: Talk about what? "Well, we actually have some friends over right now, but go ahead and give me the quick version to get us going!"

H: Well, you didn't have to answer the phone if you have friends over. [I'm just assuming that's what she thought because that's what I would've thought.] "Sure! I was just calling to see if Monday was still a good time for you?"

M: Umm, what? "Monday... Monday... let me check my planner!" Oh my goodness, I hope I have something written down in my planner to let me know who this person is. Sigh. Crap. Monday's blank. No clues. "Well, I think Monday should work. Umm... remind me why we're getting together?" [Yes, I really said that.]

H: "You wanted my help on your website! I'm the Squarespace consultant that worked with your mom?"

M: Holy cow, I'm a moron. "Ooooh! Melody! Oh my goodness, the name just didn't click. Yes, Monday is great!"

H: "Wow, you're good! That was really subtle. I had no idea you didn't know who I was!"

Okay, friends, I'm saving you some work. If you don't know the name on the caller ID, pretend you're not home and trust that the message left on the answering machine will give you a hint. Not everyone will be nice and friendly when you carry on a conversation not knowing who they are! Fortunately, Melody was.

Thanks, Melody. I'm glad we can start off our professional relationship with a little humor. And I will never forget your name again.

No comments: