Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Datsa Spicy Meat-uh-ballah

I know you've got your favorite Italian restaurant, and I am by no means trying to make you convert from your beloved Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden, but you should give Salvino a try. It's tough to spot from the road, peeking out from behind a muffler place and wedged between a sports bar and a Jackson Hewitt. Location aside, it's a pretty tasty place.

I'm not a food critic. I'm not here to break down the cleanliness (it was clean) and the wait staff (very friendly and attentive) and the wine list (I know the difference between red and white). I just like to talk about good food when I eat it. So here it is.

The classic bread and olive oil combo at the start was really good. Crusty but not break-a-tooth bread and nice, spicy deep green olive oil. We ordered the gnocchi to start, and it was awesome. Gnocchi are Italian potato dumpling pasta things. The right texture is difficult to achieve, but these spinach gnocchi were deliciously tender, baked in a cheese sauce with gorgonzola cheese. So unexpected but really good. The caesar salad was nice and simple, and the house salad at the other end of the table looked really fresh. Everyone at our table was pretty happy with the entrees. My mother-in-law and I definitely got the best thing on the menu. Actually, it was a daily special not on the menu (but they always have it... go figure) - lightly pan-fried sea scallops in a butter white wine sauce with creamy spinach and angel hair. Shut-up, people. It was delicious. And even though we all needed assistance getting out of the restaurant, we still got a piece of cake to share - a lemoncello cake filled with mascarpone cheese. You can't see me, but I'm totally shaking my head right now since THERE ARE NO WORDS. I'd go just for the cake.

A few bucks more per person than grilling macaroni or gardening for olives, but it's definitely worth trying. Salvino Cucina Italiana on Battleground Ave. in the Big Lots shopping center next to the Jackson Hewitt. Yeah, I know. I didn't think they had restaurants there either.

No comments: