Saturday, April 19, 2008

I've Made a Breakthrough

Today was the yardsale.

Scheduled from 8am-12pm, the first people showed up at 6:53am. Good thing I was up. We sold almost everything we had. Seriously. We were really excited. Kaz and I sat in little chairs and spent the morning in regular yardsale fashion. We had a great time. It was fun to listen to him talk to the Spanish-speaking shoppers and answer questions. The best was when he turned to me to ask a question... in Spanish. Yeah, I don't speak Spanish. He does that at his parents' house too when Japanese is the main language spoken. I don't speak Japanese either.

We made about three times more than we thought we would, and the only awkward exchange was with a woman who wanted a container full of yarn for $0.25 even though I asked for $1.00. I dropped to $0.50 and she still wouldn't budge. She didn't end up buying, but... we think she sent her friend to buy it. They had the same it's-for-a-lady-at-church-who-knits-things-for-shut-ins story. I think that's a beautiful thing, to spend time ministering to people who are forgotten. But really, tagteaming over a quarter? A little nutty. And it was a lot of great yarn! Whatever. I'm over it...

Here's the breakthrough. Kaz and I loaded up the car with the items we had left and IMMEDIATELY drove to Goodwill to donate what didn't sell. Get out. I had stuff in this yardsale leftover from one we had three years ago. I made a vow this time though to not let any of it back in the house. I didn't follow through totally; the index card holder will probably come in handy eventually. But it's all gone! All the VHS tapes and tiny window blinds and sad looking dresses I wore in 8th grade. All gone. This is a big. I'm proud of myself.


Now I'll have to avoid the temptation of going yardsaling next weekend and doing the junk fill-up again. Chasing my tail, man...

2 comments:

Hannah Grace said...

Yeahhhh.
That lady is why me and mom left. Don't forget about the dying babies that they make the blankets for, too.

Unknown said...

Oh you have inspired me! TOMORROW I am cleaning out my closet & donating all of the stuff I have not had on in years...

I hate the people that are trying to get a better deal than the $ 1

We had a yard sale before me moved back to Norway, & by the end of the day I was not a very nice person to all of those "lets make a deal" people....