Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Classically Challenged

Today I'm doing something I've never done before - I'm working at Furniture Market.

I'm sitting at a desk, taking business cards from people rolling their luggage from showroom to showroom, trying to identify the different accents, and trying even harder to figure out what state MT is. (I had to look it up when the people left my desk - Montana.)

It's not a bad gig. The people are really nice, the coffee is good, and I have my laptop to play with.

Here's the thing. I feel DECIDEDLY less fashionable than these people. These furniture buyers are coming from all over... New York, California, Colorado... and most of them are dressed quite well. One girl just walked by me in the cutest little tunic that I've ever seen. Actually, I've never seen it. I guess it's a new fashion that hasn't hit Target yet.

I usually do a pretty good job of not getting freaked out by my "classic" fashion sense, aka I'm wearing a shirt I bought in high school. But, oh my goodness, I'm starting to feel a little freaked out that right now I'm wearing a shirt I bought in high school! My mom says that means I'm a good shopper, that I choose things that are timeless. But I don't feel timeless. I feel boring and a little faded. I don't think my shirt has holes, but I can't be entirely sure. And the jeans I'm wearing are the only ones I own without a hole or frayed bottoms. It's slightly awkward.

Holy cow, will someone PLEASE take me shopping?

3 comments:

Wilson Ramblings said...

lets go!

emily freeman said...

oh how i love these visuals :) um. and what is a tunic? also, girl, let me just say...those market people didn't even notice the high school shirt cuz all they could think when they looked at you was "hey...I know her...is that Martina McBride?" And then they'll stop themselves from asking for your autograph because, well, its market and that just wouldn't be market-like.

My First Kitchen said...

Yes, I am Martina McBride. Oh, that's so great. How do you always know what to say to make me laugh at myself and not take myself so seriously? Hilarious. I love it. And now you've inspired my next post. Stay tuned...