Saturday, November 3, 2007

Forgotten Sombrero

Last night, we celebrated my mom's birthday. Deciding to take the theme route, my sister and I prepared for a Mexican fiesta. We had fajitas and brightly colored napkins and horns (in Spanish they're called cornes) and salsa music playing in the background. The music got slightly annoying, and the fajitas got cold since I didn't have any of those iron warmers they use in restaurants. But we still had a great time.

This morning while I was putting away laundry (a household chore that I LOATHE) I saw lying on the closet floor... a sombrero. I had a tiny pity party as I stood in the closet with an arm full of towels. I was going to have Mom wear the sombrero at least for a little bit during the party and then use it as a fabulous decoration that would drive home the theme... just in case the music and food and the singing of Happy Birthday in Spanish weren't clear enough. I was so bummed, and then I had a thought. The sombrero would not have made the night any better.

Not to sound cliche, but it's not what you serve or how you decorate or how much you plan. The best part of entertaining is just being with people you love... and it helps if you like them, too. My family and I laughed together over everything from Oprah's immune system to how my sister performed a personal version of Riverdance at her own birthday party. Those kinds of things can in no way be enhanced by sizzling table-side food and the forgotten sombrero.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'm still bummed I didn't get to wear it though. I might look cute in one! love, mom