Monday, November 19, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm

My friend is having a baby tomorrow. So weird. She has to have a scheduled c-section, so she's had the date set for awhile now. What do you write on your planner? Baby Day? Surgery? The Day My Life Changes Forever?

I don't have kids yet, but I'm not an idiot; I know that life with kids in no way resembles life without kids. I personally think that's awesome. Kids are fabulous. They're little pint-sized truth-tellers walking around with adorable curls that look cute even when they're frizzy and untamed. They're also completely exhausting; just ask my friend Emily who can't get her kid to poop in the potty. It's a crisis, and that's not to be funny. Life changes. Life changes a lot.

So what do you think the night before The Change? Do you sit around and watch Amazing Race and eat popcorn like usual? Do you walk around the house and take pictures of everything as it appears this very moment to document for eternity? Do you try and have a date with your husband since you'll never have one again until Date Night becomes part of...ahem... regular life (which never seems to happen terribly quickly)? Or do you do what I think I'd probably do and just sit on the couch and stare into space, afraid out of your mind?

Well, My Pregnant Friend, whatever you're doing this night, I know you're going to be a great mom. Go ahead and stare and be afraid, but remember that you're only a mother by the power of the greatest Father ever.

1 comment:

emily freeman said...

i cried a lot the night before my 3rd came. and prayed. and cried. and ate tiramisu.