Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Wedding Day

In my business, I focus on almost-married and newly-married women, so I'm exposed to wedding plans a lot. Recently I started thinking about how everyone says the wedding day is one of the greatest days of your life. If that's true, life really isn't that exciting.

Don't get me wrong; weddings are favulous. My own wedding was perfect. The ceremony was beautiful, everything went off without a hitch, and minus a tiny candle wax burn on my hand, nothing even remotely tragic happened. At the reception, we were surrounded by so many people that we love, the food was fantastic, and I love looking back at the pictures that perfectly capture the day. But that wasn't the best day of my life.

The wedding is just a party to celebrate the most amazing journey of your life. If your expectations for your wedding are higher than the ones you have for your marriage, I want to tell you that your relationship deserves better than that. Marriage is phenomenal. It's ridiculously hard, but every single day is better than the one before. When you selflessly love the one you're with and allow them to love you back, the result is a relationship that makes you smile at your wedding day as a sweet memory but look ahead at the years to come with more anticipation than satin and canapes could ever bring.

Sigh. I love my husband.

No comments: