Friday, November 16, 2007

The Love-Hate Relationship

I love winter. LOVE it. Especially in the summer. When it's warm, I think about how it's fun to be cozy and sit on the couch holding a mug of hot tea. When it's blazing hot, I think about how much easier it is to look cute in the winter and not resort to just a t-shirt and shorts. During the Fourth of July, I dream of Thanksgiving and Christmas and my birthday (two days after Christmas) and how much fun it is to celebrate with family. Now it's finally winter! How fun... right?

Wrong.

My love affair with winter has suddenly turned sour. I'm freezing cold right now. Freeeeeezing. The closest thing I've achieved to being cozy is huddling in a surprisingly small ball on the couch wrapped in a fleece blanket (filled with static, of course), afraid to move a muscle because I'll hit a "cold spot" on the couch or the blanket. I can't hold a mug because then my hands would be exposed to the elements. Oh, and my lips are chattering, too. I'm still wearing t-shirts. Now they just have a long-sleeved shirt underneath them. Not the cute seasonal makeover I was hoping for. And Thanksgiving is next week, and all I can think about is that I haven't done any Christmas shopping, I'm going to be 26 in five weeks (which totally weirds me out), one of my best friends is having a baby in four days, I have six weeks to plan and execute a New Year's Eve party for 150 high school kids, and I've started a new business that's beginning to pick up some speed. Oh, and I can't successfully shave my legs between October and March because of the crazy chill bumps that won't go away.

I'm losing my mind. And I'm starting to hate winter. But I don't want to! I still love the romantic idea of it, and frankly if I tell my husband (he's basically a sun worshipper) that I'm down on winter, he wins the argument of which season is best... and I am NOT about to lay that one down without a fight, even if I can't feel my fingers right now.

So, Winter, please woo me back! Remind me of hot chocolate and the fun of giving and staying in bed a few more minutes because it's so warm and cold noses that don't run and the smell of snow and how fun it is that my husband gets to be home for days at a time over the holidays. I want this relationship to work, Winter. Don't give up on me.

No comments: