Thursday, February 14, 2008

Soundtracks

Do you ever feel like you're in a movie? Music does that to me. It transports me to a New York street in the fall waiting to meet my long lost love. It puts me in a car, driving down a thickly tree-lined street to a home I haven't seen in years. It comforts me after a loved one dies. It makes me stop, close my eyes, smile, and think about how music is one of the most emotionally powerful mediums in my life. It goes beyond something fun to sing or something sentimental to listen to. A moment can be perfectly identified by a lyric, a note, a voice. I cry listening to music more than I cry about real life problems. It just speaks to me in a way that nothing else does. It's abandonment and quiet and rest. It's love and death and courage and hurt. It's perfect.

No comments: