Tuesday, January 8, 2008

They're Just Like Us

So they've canceled the Golden Globes. Well, the big ceremony at least. No dressing up, no posing with your back to the camera with the head slightly turned so as to make the waist look smaller than my knee, no schmoozing with other celebrities and pretending like you don't think Tom Cruise is crazy... none of that is happening. Instead we're getting a sixty minute news conference announcing the winners, most of whom won't be there so that they can support the writers on strike.

I must admit that I'm sad about it. I love award shows. They're the perfect combination of celebrity and list-making. The nominees, the winners, the best and worst dressed, and the hope of a show of the Top 100 Red Carpet Mishaps on E!. It's fun. Silly, but fun.

One of the reasons I dislike celebrities though is how perfect they all look all the time. I mean, PERFECT. Flawless skin, amazing proportions, and they always seem to have their own lighting crew following them around. But I recently happened upon a website (once you're there, click on portfolio) posted by my friend, Emily, that made it all better. They're not all perfect. Not even close. Just look at the pictures. (You actually have to click on and off the pictures to see the difference. And what a difference, let me tell you.)

I'm not perfect either though. Well, that's obvious, but I mean none of us are perfect... in anything. We fail all the time, even those we love more (or hope to love more) than ourselves. It's part of life, but it's in those imperfections that we realize we are absolutely nothing without Jesus. NOTHING. We're beautiful to Him, and His blood has made us righteous. So awesome. So let that be a reminder to all of you trying-to-be-perfect-people out there; no one is perfect, not even celebrities. And better yet, there's a God whose perfection is all you'll ever need.

Okay, I'm going to go back and look at how they edited out the creases on Naomi Watts' thumb.

2 comments:

Hannah Grace said...

I keep getting my self esteem boosted knowing that Beyonce has a poochy stomach like me. Sah-weet.

taylor made said...

Her thumb? Seriously?
Is there really something wrong with a thumb crease?
crap.