Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In Good Company

A couple of days ago, I watched Masterpiece Theater's Persuasion by Jane Austen on PBS. I'm pretty tolerant of anything based on Jane's work, so my expectations weren't terribly high. It's usually all pretty good. This movie was definitely fun to watch, and I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. And because of the miracle and lifeblood that is DVR, I can. My favorite part of the movie though wasn't the story or the acting or those perfect empire waist dresses...

My favorite part of watching Persuasion was listening to my friend Kate watch Persuasion.

The dashing male lead character is named Captain Frederick Wentworth... sounds so noble. He's not supposed to be crazy hot or anything like Mr. Darcy or Frank Churchill, but he should be fairly nice to look at. Well, I think Kate thought he met the hotness quota.

The guy playing Wentworth was named Rupert Penry-Jones... sounds even more noble. Everytime he came on the screen, my friend would sigh or say under her breath (or very loudly), "Oh my goodness, he's just so beautiful!" Yes, he's cute; she's not telling a lie. But I had such a good time watching the movie, hoping that Wentworth would appear, not to move the story along but to hear what Kate would say about him.

Today's lesson learned from Austen? I recommend watching movies with friends. If I had watched it by myself, I would've enjoyed the story and moved on. Watching it with Kate gave it another dimension that brought a lot more joy than without. So grab a friend, pop some popcorn, and set your DVR for this Sunday at 9pm on PBS... Mansfield Park is on.

No comments: